America is a Premier destination for international students owing to its strong economy, vibrant campus life and the variety, flexibility and quality academic options it offers. From fabulous cities to beautiful natural parks, you are sure to have a spell bound life in the US.
USA EDUCATION SYSTEM
- USA education system comprises of 12 complete years of primary and secondary education prior to university or graduate college
- On completion of high school students move on to attend undergraduate school followed by graduate school, post-graduation and PhD study.
WHY STUDY IN USA?
- Ranked no 1 for overall quality of education
- Numerous Study Choices
- Internationally recognised
- Flexible Education system
- Merit based university assistance provided
- Scholarships and fellowships awarded by departments
- Tuition fee waivers
- On campus jobs with minimal wages
- Leader in latest technologies and advancement
- Industry based training and research
- Options to apply for graduate assistantship, Teaching assistantship and research assistantship
- Vibrant Campus life
US universities have 3 intakes for students.
The deadlines for each intake are usually a few months before the start date. It is highly recommended that you apply early to maximize your chances for admission. Some universities even offer rolling admissions, i.e. admissions are open through the year. The major intake for the US is the Fall intake which offers the highest degree of competition but also features the largest number of corporate internships.
- IELTS, TOEFL scores as proof of English language skills for admission to any course.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) – For entry in to Graduate Programs
- Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) is required for admission to MBA and other management programs.
- Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) is required for admission in to bachelor level courses
- Law and Medical schools usually require different exams like LSAT and MCAT
Tuition fee varies from one institution to another and this is depending upon the chosen program.
Generally, in public/State Universities and private universities, tuition fee ranges $12000 to $40,000 per annum.
In Ivy League universities tuition fee ranges $48000 to $60000.
Health Insurance Cost: This is mandatory for international students. It would range from $1750 to $2000 per year.
Miscellaneous Charges: $2000 per year
Scholarships to Study:
The USA is the only country which offers up to 100% scholarships on tuition to deserving students. This may be based on the students overall profile, both academic or extracurricular profile and the financial need of the student.
Few states may offer In- State Tuition waivers which work out to be 50% to 80% on the overall tuition fee.
Submit online application/paper-based application and send required documents to the universities. From the initial application until the final admission decision, it takes anywhere between 1 week and 6 months depending on the level and ranking of the university. The admissions into Universities in the USA are a very complex process since it is contingent on a large number of factors.
As the review on each file is made by different departments like graduate admissions, Transcripts Evaluation, GPA Calculation, Departmental Review, and then the Immigration Department for I-20, the process takes a long time for confirmation.
WORK RIGHTS & STAY BACK
USA F1 Student Visas are generally valid for a period of 5 years including OPT (optional practical training).
students are eligible to work for a maximum period of up to 20 hours per week during the academic year. Students can work full time (40 hrs) only during holidays.
ON Campus Employment:
As an undergraduate or postgraduate international student studying in the United States, employment is possible on a part-time basis for up to 20 hours every week.
Optional Practical Training (OPT) is the work authorization letter where students can work anywhere in USA to get hands-on work experience related to the academic field of study. OPT is valid for one year and which is extendable to 24 months for the students who graduates in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics) field.
Need more info?Click here to contact our expert counsellor.
There are three types of student visa:
- F-1 (Student Visa)– The F-1 visa which is for full-time students who are enrolled in an academic or language program. F-1 students can stay in the US for the whole duration of their academic program plus 2 months. It is a prerequisite for F-1 students to maintain a full-time course load and complete their studies by the expiration date listed on the I-20 form.
- J-1 (Exchange Visitor Visa)– The J-1 visa is for students who need practical training that is not available in their home countries in order to complete their academic program. The training must be directly related to the academic program. The J-1 visa obligates the student to return to their home countries for a minimum of 2 years after the end of their studies in the US.
- M-1:The M-1 visas for full-time students at vocational or other nonacademic institutions.
For more information about how to apply for a visa to study in the USA, please contact LEADS